The Essential Guide to Salah
- Live, online course, with chat.
- Access from anywhere in the world at any time.
- Additional reading material and resources.
- Around 36 hours of contact time over 12 weeks.
- Every session is recorded so you miss nothing and can revise and review your learning at any time.
- Course content will be based on established primers in the hanafi madhhab such as Nurul Idhah, Mukhtasar al-Quduri, and al-ikhtiyar as well as their recognised commentaries. This is therefore a detailed course for beginners but also an excellent revision course for students of knowledge.
- The course will include tips on spirituality and khushu (spiritual devotion in salah). However, there is a specific course on that topic called ‘How to Improve Quality of Salah’ that we recommend to everyone learning about salah. See below.
- It will also include a practical demonstration of all the important rituals such as wudhu, tayammum, and salah.
Course Content Breakdown
Introduction to fiqh: its history and how it evolved over time in to different schools, how this affected people before us, and how it affects us now.
1. Types of water in terms of purity and purification.
2. Cleaning physical impurities (Anjas)
3. Istinja (cleaning oneself after using the toilet)
1. Things that cause ritual impurity.
2. What the ritually impure cannot do.
3. The rules of haydh, nifas, and istihadhah
- When is puberty and takleef (age of responsibility) and its implications.
- Matters of personal hygiene and cleanliness that are part of sunnah lifestyle.
Full details of:
4. Menstruation and women’s purification issues.
5. Miscellaneous rulings such as wiping over socks, etc.
- Introduction, importance, virtues, etc.
- Times (when to and when not to pray
- Adhan and iqamah
1. Conditions (shurut)
2. Obligatory parts of salah (faraidh and wajibaat)
1. Sunnah parts of salah
2. Etiquettes and mustahabb parts
1. The jama’ah
2. Who is the most suited to lead salah
1. Things that break salah
2. Things that are makruh
3. Things that do not break salah
1. Eid, jumu’ah, and witr
2. Sunnah and nafl prayers
3. The prayer of the traveller
4. The prayer of the sick person
5. Janazah prayer
6. Other forms of prayer
1. Missed prayers
2. Missed rak’aat
3. Sujud al-sahw
4. Sujud al- tilawah
5. Sujud al-shukr
Salah is the most important religious duty that Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala) has given every believer. That makes learning about salah and purification (wudhu, ritual bath, tayammum) an obligatory area of learning, no less important than the prayer itself. Yes, it is fardh to learn the rules of salah and one is accountable to Allah for not knowing them.
If you do not know the basic rules of prayer or are yet to learn them as a new Muslim or are someone starting to practise Islam, then the reason why you must study this course is obvious. For people who do pray and think they know the rules, and may be thinking, this is basic stuff, you should know this: unless you are absolutely certain you are not making serious mistakes, then salah is too important to take risks with. The rules of salah should be learnt thoroughly and revised regularly. What we learnt as children is not sufficient.
Scholars and imams regularly testify to the basic mistakes they see people make in wudhu areas and prayer halls of the masajid.
At Mawarid Lifestyle, we already have an online on-demand version of this course available on the website that you can study any time. We are now running the course live with Shaykh Shams for the first time. This will allow people who prefer live learning to study it.
The course is a detailed study of the rules of purification and prayer according to the hanafi madhab, the school of jurisprudence that most Muslims in the UK and the West follow. If you do not know which school you follow, then this course can be your introduction to how Islamic law works and a clear guide for your prayer. It doesn’t matter which madhhab you follow.
Mawarid Lifestyle will also run the same course based on other schools of jurisprudence (Maliki, Shafi’i, Hanbali) in the future, InshaAllah.
Important Notice for Past and Existing On-demand Students
Students who have purchased the on-demand version of the course are welcome to attend the live version. It will serve as excellent revision and give you a chance to ask questions directly.
All on-demand students will only be charged £5 for registration. We used to offer this for free but too many students enrol and do not turn up, hence the nominal charge so that only serious students register. We will email all on-demand students a discount code.
Who is This Course For?
Anyone who wants to learn how to pray; wants to make sure their salah is free from errors or wants to ensure they know how to teach salah correctly to their children. It is a detailed course so it can also serve as excellent revision for students of knowledge.
The course is suitable for anyone who is 13 years of age or above.
Parents of younger children should do the course and teach the children in an age-appropriate way. Some of the content and the style of teaching is not suited to children under 13.
There are no prerequisites other than your commitment to learning about your salah and making sure it is correct.
Q&A and contact with the teacher
Students will be invited to a chat group with the teacher to facilitate Q&A and constant contact with the teacher outside of class time.
Other Related Courses That You Should Study
How To Improve Quality of Salah
A detailed on-demand course on khushu (spiritual devotion in salah). Look out for a bundle with both courses. It will work out cheaper.
Memorise More Qur’an For Salah
A course that will help you memorise short meaningful sections from all over the Qur’an.
Please browse our courses page for more courses: mawaridlifestyle.com/courses
Dates & Schedule
Starts 8th February 2022
Then every Tuesday for 12 weeks
6PM – 9PM
Early Bird Discount
£10 off if you sign up by 27th Dec
If you cannot afford it
We would like to help you if you cannot afford to study. So, if you can pay, pay. If not, email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your situation. We will try to help you inshaAllah. All we ask is that you should be willing to pay whatever you can afford.
- This is a live scheduled course with Shaykh Shams. Please check your availability against the course dates and try to attend every session. The recordings are only to help those who might miss classes due to extenuating circumstances and to help everyone review/revise their knowledge. The availability of recordings should not undermine the importance of attendance. This would not be an appropriate attitude towards religious learning and would diminish from its blessings.
- There is a student chat group on Telegram for Q&A and discussions. You will find details in the lessons after enrolment. Please join it.
- You will find the zoom details under ‘Course Content’ on this page in a link marked ‘Introduction to the Course and Zoom link’. This is a dynamic area of the page and is not visible until enrolment is complete. Then the lesson links will appear under the ‘Introduction’ link close to the lesson times or just after they have been delivered on zoom. These links will take you to lesson pages that contain slides, any additional reading, and the session recording.
- Please take your own notes. You will also notice a digital note taking feature on the lesson pages, please feel free to use that. These notes are then accessible from that page at all times.
- We recommend that you study on a PC or laptop and avoid using phones to attend classes. This minimises distractions and is more user friendly.
- If any reading is given in advance, try to do the reading before class. This will ensure you take maximum benefit from the class.
- Each time you complete a lesson, you must mark it as complete so that your profile is updated on the system.
How to Register and Access Content On The Website
- Register and pay at the above link. If you are not already subscribe to ML, you will be sent a link by email to set your password. Once you’ve set your password, you will have access to the learning management system on the Mawarid Lifestyle website. Some users have trouble with the password link, if this happens to you, send us an email on email@example.com and we will send you a password manually.
- You will be sent a confirmation email with instructions.
- You will automatically receive access to the course material on the date of each lesson or after the lesson as appropriate.
- The videos at this link show you how to access courses on the website.
Brief Teacher Bio
Shaykh Shams Adduha Muhammad
Shaykh Shams Adduha Muhammad is a co-founder and the former director of Ebrahim College (EC), an Islamic seminary in East London that trains Muslim faith leaders of the future.
Shaykh Shams has led EC to become a leading contemporary Muslim seminary and one of the largest adult Islamic education providers in the UK. After 17 years at EC, he left to focus on consulting and grass root work. He set up Mawarid Lifestyle (ML).
Shaykh Shams is himself an Islamic seminary graduate and has an MA in Islamic studies from the university of London. He has also worked as an Imam, a teacher and deputy head of an independent Islamic school, and a translator of classical Islamic works.
Shaykh Shams is particularly interested in contextualising traditional Islamic studies for British Muslims and faith leaders. Currently, he teaches courses at Mawarid Lifestyle, mentors young people on ML’s Youth Mentoring Programme, and counsels people who are struggling with doubts in their iman. All of his current work can be accessed at mawaridlifestyle.com.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org